Sunday, November 23, 2008

Studio Space

As some of you know, Hearts & Anchors is lucky enough to share a studio space with Ollie Ollie Press, owned by the wonderfully talented and kind Allison Phillips Connorton. We have made a cozy home-away-from-home at Catwalk Studios and are housed amongst a menagerie of brilliant creators ranging from pyrotechnic wizards & crossword extraordinaires to filmmakers & stuffed animal/puppet crafters. Thanks to the eco-conscious Chris Schardt, the entire warehouse is solar powered so I don't feel so guilty when I'm still printing into the wee hours of the morning.

Here are some photos of the space, as well as the beautiful 1954 Heidelberg Windmill press. Alli and I are still figuring out her name. I'm sure it will call out to us like an epiphanous flash of lightning - sparks flying and all that, it just hasn't happened quite yet.











That's Alli (above left), clad in a green smock. She's hand-printing wedding invitations on her table-top Kelsey.






















In the back of the studio is the mighty Craftsman Cutter. He is electric and always ready to cut super-duper thick reams of paper but is also courteous not to chop off fingers and limbs, even though this would be quite easy.






















Inside the belly of the whale (Oh, the beautiful Heidelberg Windmill Press!) we found a fantastic array of former owners' projects. They were perfectly preserved via oil saturation and we found some awesome sandwich menus and high school book club seals, among other things.